Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Watercolor Print-of-the-month and Goult 2

(Sorry to resend post. Links were wrong). I'm back in Paris but still thinking/dreaming of the Luberon. Goult is another small fortified hilltop village we visited.
The morning light was perfect for painting. The 'done' thing is to climb up to the old windmill (moulin) at the top and then paint the surrounding landscape. I got this far and turned back to visit the local grocery store...interest in local produce being the attraction.
OK I prefer shopping to heights. This is as close as. I got to the windmill. The small figurines are 'santons' made locally and a part of the Provençal Christmas celebration. I can't remember if 13 santons or 13 desserts are the tradition.
Note the wild boar figurine.
Boars adorn everything, not just your plate as sausage.
A charging boar plastered on a car window...the regional mascot.
The grocery store (the only game in town) has an annex across the street for fresh produce. You grab a basket, take what you want and cross over to pay.
Don't miss tasting local almonds. They're flatter, bigger, grown in the area and very tasty. 100 grams (3 ounces) should set you back 2,10€.
Small antique shops line Goult's main street, items spilling out into the street.
Cafe de la Poste is The place to lounge and grab a coffee. It may be the only place to do so in Goult.
Last time I was here in 2005 I painted my breakfast.
This visit I was feeling more ambitious. As kids my sister and I had to spit 3 times when passing a cemetary (we still don't walk under ladders or pass black cats). My father was adamant. I was reluctant to paint in Goult's unusual cemetery.
If only Ian Sidaway was here as a guide. He's a master of all manner of hedges among other things.
   Still I gave it a whirl leaving out all hints of the tombs.
The village buildings were more appealing.
Warm earthy colors.
I painted this melon/rust cottage against a cobalt blue sky.
Four Goult village buildings on one page - my brand new watercolor print-of-the-month available on Etsy.
The prints are on the same Arche paper I use to paint my watercolors so colors come out almost identical.
Ochre pigments from Provence were in art store, Sennelier's window this morning. Memories of last week's visit to Roussillon.
The Roussillon print is up too on Etsy with Provencal brochures added in the flat envelope. I may be visiting the US later this summer to paint in Maine. Lobster and cheese Danish beckon.

19 comments:

  1. 13 desserts and as many Santons as one can amass!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Denise.
      I LOVE the Provençal brioche version of galette de Rois! I only tasted it this year

      Delete
  2. Your 'whirling' hedges look pretty good! Love the new prints too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your post today...of course I've been loving all the Provence stuff!!
    Keep them Provence posts coming!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely way of life. Love your paintings; going over to Etsy to have a closer look.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always pleased when someone posts one of my drawings.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These prints are so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wait, you didn't paint the view from the moulin?????
    Just kidding.
    Love your watercolors. Especially the topiaries.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your watercolour sketches, 4 in 1. great idea. The colours are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a great idea!
    And the watercolors are beautiful..when I saw your earlier work it brought back souvenirs of when I discovered you.
    That mural looks fantastic there.Lovely post..un peu de tout.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love those colors and the blue sky of France - just makes me feel warm and smile. I have several Santons from Marseilles and love them - they are memories on my bookshelf.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love those warm earthy colors, too! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like such a glorious time! Oh, how I love those colors!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bien fait! Truly a glorious travelogue of a post. Spent some delicieux time at a local French bakery/cafe owned by une Parisienne tres charmante hier and thought of you. You would like her cafe "Detour" quite a bit, I think, but Denver is a long way from Maine, quel dommage.
    Cheers,
    Diane in Denver

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gault on Fifth Avenue? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, you got close to the windmill, Carol - and thanks for telling me what "moulin" means!
    It's a cute little town & I love the way the buildings are are painted; especially the one with blue shutters.
    Your watercolors are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Too long time that I have not been commenting here... Today, I think it's your birthday. Bon anniversaire!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Peter Olson..I think you are spot on..

    Happy Birthday Carol!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you