Tuesday, May 03, 2016

Croissant d'Amande research and Saignon


I have been doing daily research on the croissant d'amande in the Luberon. This straight-up boulangerie is in Saint-Saturnin-les-Apt. Hands down they can beat out Paris every day of the week in the croissant d'amande arena. I'm ready to put good money on it.
FYI, a croissant d'amande is a day-old croissant flattened, filled with almond frangepane, sprinkled liberally with slivered, toasted almonds on top. Provence being the home of French almonds, I'm guessing (and hoping) they are usung the local product, thereby achieving a far better tasting end result.
Naturally when we went to another hilltown the other day, Saignon, I felt obliged to do comparative testing.
Chez Christine is a cosy pastry shop.
Their croissant d'amandes are bigger and pricier, but not necessarily better.
Still you must factor in that you're sitting under a red umbrella at chez Christine's cafe
With a stunning view of Saignon's romanesque church perched on a hill. All the towns of the Luberon seem to be perched on a hill (why getting wifi here is rather frustrating...ahem).
One mustn't grumble but Angelina could really clean up in the hot chocolate area here.
Nestle's, please go away from all Luberon cafes and stay away.
I would love to meet Mireille, the owner of this charming facade in Saignon. Pretty adorable you have to admit oui?

15 comments:

  1. I love these photos of the Luberon... am looking forward to more !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to oblige PL as long as the wifi co-operates.

      Sorry for the spelling errors btw. Blogger has taken away the option to correct on the ipad :((
      Horrors.

      Delete
  2. Very adorable!
    Love it all..almond croissants my fave croissants..oh keep the charm coming ..click away Carol.
    More ..more..:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must go to Velleron's evening market that occurs each day aside from Sunday. I've spent a great deal of time in Velleron and this market is wonderful! A true farmer's market and different from all of the others in the Luberon. Friday evening is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds wonderful! I am in love with almond bear claws .... Now I will dream of these while settling for them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore le croissant-d'amande, but it does terrible things to my waist and hips.
    Love all the pics from Luberon, so charming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Carol, I cannot even begin to tell you how much I appreciate all your valuable research! Your courage is testing the almond croissants is commendable.

    What completely beautiful surroundings you are showing us. Many thanks. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely place to spend a Spring day! Having croissant d'amandes under a red umbrella sounds divine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I knew you were going to Saignon you should've popped in to say hello to my parents-in-law - they would have loved to have met you, Carol! That church is where Julie was christened and many of Antoine's family in the churchyard. Did you walk up the rock? Must catch up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How enlightening to learn that almond croissants are made fro day-olds....all the almond croissants I've ever had (all stateside, of course) were baked with the almond filling inside and the slices on top!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning photographs Carol. There is a sketch/painting in every one of them! And they are so very "French"! So pleased I signed up to receive your emails!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dorothy1:35 AM

    Daily research on croissant d'amande? Tough life, Carol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to stop. My britches didn't fit no more :(

      Delete
  12. More lovely photos! They look very tasty those almond croissants.......enjoy and good luck with the wifi!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We appreciate your efforts, almond-croissant wise. You always seem willing to take on the toughest tasks. Good woman!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you