Friday, August 28, 2009

Champagne Daze

Yesterday K/ S said:you've had the coolest jobs! You ain't seen nothin' Sweetie Darling.
Paul Bocuse, Champagne Mumm's ambassador,
suggested I do artwork for them and made introductions.
They gave me a test assignment. Come up with a big group drawing they could gift their employees of tons of celebrities drinking Mumm. Can you spot Kate Moss? One of the Seagrams brothers is embracing a big bottle.
*Note everyone is holding their glass by the stem. Never hold a champagne glass by the 'bowl'. Mustn't warm up those bubbles.
The group drawing led to a portrait promotion program. Mumm wanted portraits painted directly onto Mumm bottles. I imagined my living room a sea of Mumm jeroboams. Last minute I suggested they printing their label design on my watercolor paper. I ended up with neat stacks of printed Champagne labels.
One of the perks? I stayed at the Mumm mansion in Reims.
The Champagne countryside is magnificent. There's a new fast TGV from Paris that takes just an hour. Don't miss it.
I also stayed a week at Veuve Clicquot's country estate in Verzy.
Moi and a giant refrigerator full of Champagne 
jeroboams.
They said,
"Do help yourself"
Right!" 
 Someone popped with petit dejeuner in the morning. The rest of the time I communed with grapevines. They still use straw baskets to pick the grapes in Champagne.
There's a lot of partying in the Champagne Biz. Servers are dress up as old-fashioned cellar men. They used to turn the resting Champagne bottles.

Very fun to draw.

 This is not me embracing the giant Mumm bottle. That's my French boss.This is me partying at the Chelsea Arts Club Belle Epoche Ball held at London's Albert Hall. We dressed up as characters from Degas/Lautrec paintings. I went as a Degas dancer.
Roger, the club concierge, said,
"If you add one more ribbon to that outfit, you'll look like a dog's dinner."
Don't you just love the Brits. Pass the Bolly Sweetie Darling
 

15 comments:

  1. Vos dessins sont vraiment superbes. Toutes ces gourmandises donnent envie.
    C'est une super découverte pour moi. A bientôt, La LucIoLe.

    Your drawings are really beautiful. All these delights make envy. It's a great discovery for me.

    See you soon, La LucIoLe

    ReplyDelete
  2. are you sure I said that?? but I do think you have the coolest job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol, I always read your posts via email, but I had to pop in today to say Congratulations on this delightful gig! I know these jobs do not come without a lot of incredible work, so you deserve all the wonderful perks which come with this work! I am smiling broadly for you today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Foodwalker11:37 AM

    I do so adore champagne!!!! And you look so lovely with the swan neck.

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, great artwork! And - what a job you have, lol!
    I love your pic....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how great, and bravo!! I'm so glad they chose *you*. Goes to show that the French are open to talent whether it be French or not!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are such a lucky girl - actually more talented and spunky than lucky, and all this stuff is so neat! You also look so soft and pretty in your 'Degras' outfit :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm officially jealous! You have one really cool life - and I love your drawings!

    By the way, THANK YOU for pointing out how to hold a champagne glass! A huge pet-peeve of mine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Forget the Longears garden - it won't begin to measure up to the Mumm mansion...all there is in the fridge is French's Mustard. And to add a little class, some Grey Poupon.v :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Joanne5:11 AM

    I love your blogggggggg, and I think you look fabulous as a ballet dancer!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Laurie7:58 AM

    Carol, I can't think of nothin' better than champagne and macarons! Ain't (the French) life grand!!!

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so pretty. I love your blog it is always such a joy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful sketches ! Do you do dancers ? Hello - I had to leave a note for your to say how wonderful your blog is and how much I've enjoyed reading your posts. They are creative, interesting and unique - and your photo's are divine too ! Best wishes and thank you for sharing them ...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I laughed out loud at the Dog;s Dinner comment. Oh how romantic our English men are :) Love your ballet dancer outfit. Did you do a dance in it?

    ReplyDelete
  15. You make life look like such fun and now I am going to have to find a way to share champagne with friends in my garden. Congratulations on receiving a bonus and all the perks to your job. It looks like even having fun can be a lot of work. Thanks for sharing your life.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you